Wednesday, August 13, 2008

India Part 2- Theres a Party in My Stomach

July 17, 2008
Im reaching the one month mark on this trip and it feels more like I have been here for about 2-3 months. Currently I am in a town called Mussoorrie. I am learning Hindi and attending the Landour Language School. The classes are five days a week for 4 hours a day and tests everyday Wednesday and Friday. I have been here for about 3 weeks and we already are on chapter 13. I have never been pushed this far academically and the teachers here are one of the most patient, intelligent and stern teachers I have ever met. Living in India has definitely given me a huge appreciation on the little things in life. I have taken about 4 showers here and the last shower was a hot shower, sooo great. The power goes out here and there, and you really gotta be flexible with your time in order to get things done.
And in India when you need to go to the bathroom YOU GOTTA GO...life stops and you cant think about anything else. You gotta find the nearest toilet and/or least embarrassing spot. When you gotta go.. life is on hold and its all about the bathroom. My stomach in Mussoorie has been going crazy. Within minutes of eating I have to use the bathroom. There really no stopping it. I have finished a whole bottle of Pepto Bismol, and have taken Imodium. I have finally resorte to taking Sipro which has bassically stopped my stomach from hurting, but I also have not gone to the bathroom in a while...I think. Its IBS times 10 here. haha...
But through all this I love it here. Everyday is something new, and suprising, exciting, frustrating and amazing. Its more like a challange if anything, and everyday Im just like what the fuck just bring it.
Last weekend, I travelled further into the foothills of the Himalayas. I went to about 13,000 feet and slept 2 nights in this village right next to the Yamanotri River. This place has no internet, no cell phone service, and approximately 2 phones for the whole town. The next morning we hiked about 6km up a hill, and it was by far one of the amazing views of India I have seen. The trees looked like Dr. Seus Trees, and about hundreds of small and big waterfalls flowing everywhere. Then the next day we walked about 7 miles back to the nearest town, and had to climb over a landslide. Imagine climbing over a landslide with people going through you in every direction, with small rocks tumbling down, and one slip can mean falling off the edge and into the river. The beauty of that place and the various interesting people that live within the village were extraordinary. The people are curious, and are more than willing to help with anything regardless of the language barrier.
This weekend I will be going to Rishikesh and Hardiwar...two cities near the Ganges river, and one the holiest cities for Hindus. I hope everyone is doing well. And would love to hear from all of you on how you are doing. Ill write again as soon as I get the chance. Take Care.

No comments: